About Kramden Institute:
Kramden Institute is a 501(c)3 nonprofit based in Durham, North Carolina. For more than 15 years, Kramden has led the charge in North Carolina to bridge the digital divide by providing technology tools and training. Every year, we collect thousands of computers from organizations and individuals, refurbish them and put them back into the community. What cannot be reused is responsibly recycled and disposed of through downstream, certified e-waste processors. Since our founding, we have donated over 32,000 computers across 83 of the state’s 100 counties. In 2014, Kramden began a new educational initiative aimed at teaching basic digital literacy to members of the community in need and sparking an interest in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) in disadvantaged students.
Kramden is a growing nonprofit with 9 full-time staff, a number of part-time instructors, and more than 2,000 volunteers. Our headquarters is located in southern Durham in an 11,000 sq ft space.
The Director of Development (DoD) will be part of the senior leadership team at Kramden. Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the DoD will oversee and coordinate Kramden’s strategic fundraising efforts, from our annual campaign to being our primary grant writer, interfacing with our corporate and organizational partners to launching a major gifts program. The Director of Development will work with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to create an annual fundraising blueprint.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement Kramden’s annual fundraising plan
- Lead and manage Kramden’s overall development efforts to meet annual fundraising goals
- Write fundraising appeals and regular correspondence with foundations, donors, and board members
- Prepare grant proposals and reports to corporate, foundation and government funders in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Director of Programs
- Cultivate and deepen relationships with current and potential corporate & foundation partners as well as individual donors
- Engage in research to identify new individual, foundation, and government prospects
- Develop and grow our individual donor base; manage annual giving campaign; cultivate major gifts
- Plan, lead and execute successful fundraising events
- Help to plan events in consultation with program staff and the Executive Director
- Lead marketing efforts for our Corporate Equipment Services program to solicit large-scale computer equipment donations
- Develop and implement comprehensive marketing and public relations strategy
- Maintain our social media presence in collaboration with the Director of Programs
- Take part in the organization’s strategic planning and budgeting processes
- Assist with volunteer events, operations and education programs as needed
The ideal candidate will be driven, adaptable, and diplomatic. We are a small, tightly knit team that enjoys our work and coming up with ways we can all help in growing the organization to fulfill its mission. The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in non-profit development, fundraising and grant writing
- Undergraduate degree required, graduate degree highly desirable
- Proven track record of success in fundraising, business development, communications, and relationship management
- Demonstrated experience in special events planning and management
- Knowledge and experience with corporate, federal and private foundations
- Extremely organized with excellent attention to detail and follow through
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills: the ability to communicate effectively with grantors, volunteers, donors, clients and colleagues on all levels
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong intercultural understanding and comfort working in culturally diverse setting.
- Personal qualities of humor, intelligence, strong work ethic, and a “how can I help?” mentality
- Familiarity and experience with Salesforce highly desirable as well as proficiency in fundraising software, word processing, databases technology
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as occasionally needed
- Ability to dodge the occasional Nerf dart (we do have fun as we work hard)
- Ability to lift 25lbs or more
- Valid NC Driver’s License
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary Range: $50,000-$55,000 with annual performance review and raise opportunity based on performance and fiscal health of the organization
- Bonus: Annual bonus opportunity based on performance and fiscal health of Kramden
- Healthcare: Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO with 80% of the premiums offset by Kramden
- Retirement: Eligible after one year of employment with 3% matching funds
- Leave: Three weeks PTO (2 weeks flexible with 3rd week during the Christmas week)
Submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your interest in this position to: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but priority will be given to those submitted before July 13, 2018.
Kramden Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.