CompTIA IT Fundamentals Instructor
Kramden Institute: Providing Technology Tools and Training to Bridge the Digital Divide.
Kramden Institute is a nonprofit based in Durham, North Carolina. For more than 15 years, Kramden has led the charge in North Carolina to bridge the digital divide. Every year, we collect thousands of computers, refurbish them and put them back into the community. Since our founding, we have donated over 36,000 computers across 83 of the state’s 100 counties. In 2014, Kramden began a new educational initiative aimed at teaching basic digital literacy to members of the community in need and sparking an interest in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) in disadvantaged students.
This year, Kramden will partner with the Triangle Literacy Council’s YouthBuild Program to offer CompTIA IT Fundamentals certification training to a small group of teens and young adults. The program will prepare students to take and pass the certification exam. This is a part-time position. Instruction will take place between the hours of 9 am – 5 pm (specific class times TBD) at Kramden Institute in Durham. The instructor will be responsible for approximately seven hours of instructional time per week from May – December. In addition to the Kramden classroom, the instructor will also have the opportunity to utilize the Kramden workroom and its computers, tools, and parts.
The CompTIA Instructor will:
- Design and implement training for CompTIA IT Fundamentals certification that clearly reflects objectives
- Develop and organize materials, hands-on learning activities, and a schedule of instruction
- Set proper expectations of behavior and manage student compliance to ensure a positive learning environment for all students
- Maintain communication with Kramden staff to utilize existing programs, events, and other opportunities for student learning
- Maintain accurate attendance and participation documentation
- Counsel students on their progress
- Create a fun and open environment for learning
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Working knowledge of the CompTIA IT Fundamentals subject matter
- Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to present ideas and information clearly
- Effective time management skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to confidently manage student behavior
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Ability to lift 25 pounds repeatedly and often
- Experience teaching CompTIA IT Fundamentals
- Experience working with students from differing backgrounds and varying levels of ability
To apply, send an email with your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Include the words “CompTIA Instructor” in the subject line. Preference will be given to applicants who apply before February 28, 2020.